I ocassionally post in a very popular fitness forum which is populated by the cream of the crop of the industry as well as fitness/gym-going enthusiasts. I primarily offer my help/advice in different sub-fields such as weight loss, muscle gain and the strength orientated sports (including my beloved Olympic weightlfiting). It is my belief that the fitness community is plagued with myths (be it training or nutrition) which are engined by the industry itself in order to reap monetary benefits ($$$), so if I can help anyone make a right start into their fitness journey or continuing with it, I am glad to offer my knowledge. By all means, I have nothing against the fitness industry trying to make money but instilling bullshit advice, and sometimes even dangerous advice, in people is wrong in my eyes.
The other day, someone in this aforementioned forum posted for help in designing a very basic fat loss diet for someone out of shape and looking to lean out a bit. No gimmicks, no fancy supplements, no bullshit, a simple way to lose fat. Now, as you all know by now, that is my style so I gladly offered my help. Soon thereafter, I received several private messages (a form of contacting one to one through the forum) thanking my blunt approach and view, so I have decided to include this post on Manly Curls and pass on the advice to our Manly Curls readers.
The diet is called “Diet for Dummies” in reference to the easy to follow structure. Everything you could have in a fat loss diet is there, and in a few lines. The only aspect left out is “counting calories” but I left this out on purpose because my Diet for Dummies is aimed to those out of shape looking to shed some excess pounds. Of course, if you want to have a six pack with veins popping everywhere, you will certainly need to count calories, no matter how many times you may have heard to the contrary by sketchy pseudo-gurus. It is thus that, for the out shape man/woman, Manly Curls “Diet for Dummies” does the job and it does it in a no bullshit, basic and beautiful way.
Let’s kick it.
DIET FOR DUMMIES:
– Stop eating so much.
ELABORATE DIET FOR DUMMIES:
– Eat something that used to walk or swim, or one of its by-products, in each meal. If you are a vegetarian, mix your starchy carbs in every meal.
– Following on the above, it should be the main content of your meal. Add rice/bread/olive oil, whatever you want, but the meal should be called “the name of the stuff that used to walk/swim plus whatever else”. Avoid meal names such as lasagna or curry, think instead of “chicken breast with some rice”.
– Eat less times, eating once or twice per day works very well. If you fall into the bodybuilding dogma of eating more times per day, do it, at the end of the day it is calories in/calories out. Whatever makes you forget you are dieting.
– Fat is very satiating as is protein. Try eating a can of corned beef with some cheese and time when you next feel hungry as opposed to a meal consisting of pasta. You will be surprised. Leafy vegetables also work too, though not as much.
– Consistency: there are no shortcuts, you will not see any visible fat loss until 4 weeks and the aesthetic effects really kick in after 6 weeks. Don’t do cheat meals unless you have at least a four pack in your abdomen (12% bodyfat).
Keep an eye for the near future as I used this very same approach to get myself into six pack shape. Pictures of me in underwear illustrating the transformation are ensued!
All the best,