30-days Natural Curly Hair challenge – Day 30

Today is the day. The day that the 30 day Natural Curly Hair challenge comes to an end. I must admit I am a bit sad to have to finish all this as I truly enjoyed blogging about my ins-and-outs as a curly hair man during this period. I have exchanged quite a few emails, responded to all enquiries and just blogged my way while having some fun. Would do again.

How would I rate the success of this experiment? Well, if you remember my initial pre-experiment post, I outlined several measurers that needed to be met to consider this experiment a success (or not). They were:

1)      The hair must remain very similar in curl shape and texture as to its initial state.

2)      The hair must not give out any foul odours.

3)      The hair must not be excessively matted, knotted or plastered.

4)      The hair must not be covered in visible residue, whether that produced from the scalp or external sources.

Now, what I would like to do is to also take into account your opinion so as to gauge the success of this challenge, because you too are the judge here. I would like to encourage you to leave a comment or opinion taking into account the aforementioned measurers and rate the success of the experiment.

I have my opinion already and I have also consulted curly dudette, but I want to hear what you guys think and then we can blend all the opinions into a final evaluation. I think this would be a good idea as it will enhance the documenting of this experiment and be of use to everyone that reads on it. Up for that? If so, leave a comment below the post.

This is what my hair looks on Day 30!

And this is how it looked on Day 1:

Do take into account that on the first day of the challenge I experienced some frizz and dry hair as I shampooed my hair deeply the night before commencing the challenge (read more here). Also, remember to frequently check our Facebook page as I do post additional content through there too and follow me on Twitter to keep yourself on the latest at Manly Curls!

Alright, that is it. Let me know below what you dudes & dudettes think ‘cos I am off to the shower to shampoo my hair!

All the best,

Click for the previous update (Day 28) of this natural hair experiment!

Click for the article I devote to the results of this experiment and concluding whether this 30 day natural hair experiment was a success or not!

26 comments for “30-days Natural Curly Hair challenge – Day 30

1. Per Näsström
    November 19, 2013 at 11:31 pm

Your hair looks absolutely amazing dude, you’ve inspired me to try to grow my curly hair out to neck length as well, hey you only live once right. My type is somewhere between 3 and 4 I would say and im really concerned about which products work best but im gonna try it. Anyway, thanks for great blog, you’re an inspiration to guys like me who didnt know what to do with their curls!

2. Kass
    February 5, 2012 at 10:35 am

Dang, you got a great mane going on there. Thick and defined, love it.

3. Gabriel
    January 7, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Where is the facebook like link ?

4. Photographer
    January 3, 2012 at 7:30 pm

I’m not an expert when it comes to this natural hair/no shampoo things. Didn’t even know this was possible. Useful read, appreciate your posting this.

5. Rogelio
    December 24, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Wow, thank you all for the replies! I am very happy to see that the experiment/challenge had such popularity. I will be posting tomorrow a deciding article on the outcome of this so stay tuned!

Thanks again and I am very happy to have motivated other people :)

6. Blogger
    December 24, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Definitively a success! I know you ate big on frequency of shampoos so may I ask what are you doing now with regards to this? Cheers.

December 24, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Still undecided on what to do next but not in a rush. I vouch for very infrequent shampooing though, as you have probably gathered already from my posts.

7. Robinson
    December 24, 2011 at 10:18 am

You are the better looking version of that football guy with long hair LOL

Congrats on your hair, it looks thick and good, and I have to agree with a previous comment on your ability to grow so much hair, it’ s impressive.

8. Christian
    December 23, 2011 at 5:14 pm

and now i am thinking of doing the same thing :) you inspired me.

9. LLC
    December 23, 2011 at 11:05 am

Tight hair Rogelio. Best curly hair Ive seen online on a guy.

10. Myron
    December 21, 2011 at 8:39 am

FUARKK ‘mirin taht hair breh!!

11. Glenn
    December 20, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Holy cow! You have just inspired me to grow my curls like yours. How long did it take you to grow your hair?

December 24, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Two and a half years from almost shaved. The hair is longer than it looks though due to how my curls coil.

12. Audiophile
    December 20, 2011 at 3:09 pm

I have gone through every point and I personally vouch for the success of your challenge/experiment. Well done!

13. Hairdresser in Manchester
    December 20, 2011 at 11:36 am

Hiya, I own a hair salon myself and I am fascinated by your curls. Have you considered being a hair model? I would kill to have a guy like you with those curls in our salon’s posters, it would really sell and you have the looks too :)
    Where are you from? If by any chance you pass by Manchester during your trips (I’ve seen you were in London), email me and pass by our salon, one of the girls also does professional photographs and I would be interested in having some photos of you for our posters. You have my email in the email space I had to fill to post this reply.

Amanda.

December 24, 2011 at 8:26 pm

Thank you!. Have had a few offers in the past but really haven’t got into considering it. I’ve got your email so will shoot you an email regardless if I happen to pop by Manchester (never been there!).

14. Richard
    December 20, 2011 at 11:07 am

The transition has been great. I have been following all your updates but can I ask, did you just use water to clean your hair? Thanks for replying.

December 24, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Yes, just water. The rest of the hair grooming was done with my fingers and non-products tactics.

15. Baron
    December 20, 2011 at 10:29 am

Damn, can you grow hair Rogelio. It does look a bit strawy as you have said in the past but for one month not using shampoo, it looks phenomenal.

My 2 cents.

16. Socrates
    December 19, 2011 at 11:53 pm

Definitively a success from what I can see. I have followed all your updates and you have managed to keep your hair in top shape.
    Best Regards.

17. VTS
    December 19, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Solid curls, don’t know much about hair but they look solid.

18. Christine
    December 19, 2011 at 6:40 am

I think you did a great job!
    xx

19. Ginger
    December 18, 2011 at 9:49 pm

20. Marky Mark
    December 18, 2011 at 7:48 pm

You’ve done some good work there, I would rate it as a success for sure.

Sent you an email asking for some opinion on my curls, would be great if you can answer it. Thanks!

Marky Mark