The Metro Mullet – A Cristiano Ronaldo inspired Curly Hairstyle

Cristiano Ronaldo, you either love him or hate him. Or you are like this curly hair man and you are just interested in the curly hairstyles he sports.

Truth is, Cristiano Ronaldo is known for his short length curly haircuts and hairstyles and for being something akin to the flagship sportsman of the Faux Hawk hairstyle. He has also worn other modern styles, mainly the High and Tight hairstyle, which I have covered in the past too, and the Manly Curls coined “Metro Mullet“. Today, I want to concentrate on the Metro Mullet, which is nothing but a mullet styled for the modern curly man.

Cristiano Ronaldo with a curly high and tight hairstyle

Cristiano Ronaldo is known for sporting different versions of the High & Tight hairstyle

Cristiano Ronaldo with a mullet curly hairstyle

But he has also styled his curls with the Metro Mullet hairstyle

If you didn’t heed my advice on watching the El Clasico soccer matches between Real Madrid and FC Barcelona, or if you are not much of a sports fan (let alone soccer fan) then you probably are wondering who the deuce is that guy with such an affection for tanning booths. Well, Cristiano Ronaldo is a famous curly soccer player who plays for big-team Real Madrid (Spain) and was once crowned as the world’s best soccer player some years ago (now debunked repeatedly by Lionel Messi of FC Barcelona). He has some great soccer skills, in fact, he always puts an entertaining show when he plays but he also has the ego of the human equivalent of Sarah Jessica Parker blended with Simon Cowell on a bad day (man, that is a nasty combination).

Meme of Sarah Jessica Parker

I just wanted to have an excuse to post this meme…

Ok, so now that I have thrown my particular funny comment (or so I claim) at Carrie from Sex in the City, let’s get back to our fellow curly hair man Cristiano Ronaldo.

Cristiano is a great example of how to wear the Metro Mullet and how to take the rudimentary mullet and turn it into a hairstyle that can be worn without being called pejorative names when you go to the supermarket to get some beer. The man is already a worldwide men’s style icon and rest assured that, if Ronaldo has it, it is OK to have it.

Van Damme with a curly mullet hairstyle

I am not saying it doesn’t look diesel…

Cristiano Ronaldo with the Metro Mullet hairstyle for curly men

…but if you truly want to go with a mullet in the 2010’s, then go with the Metro Mullet!

To get a Metro Mullet hairstyle, you need to have about an inch of hair length at least. This is about a short hair length although it would be best to have a medium length (two to four inches of hair length). It is also best, to get the haircut required for the metro-mullet, to already have a hairstyle that has encouraged even growth of hair all around the head, such as the Jim Morrison hairstyle. Thus, ideally, you should have at least one inch of hair length all around the head. If you don’t, wait until you do before trying to get a Metro Mullet.

Once you have the required hair length, get the haircut for the Metro Mullet as follows:

1) Clip the sides of the head with a #2 or #3 clipper guard length, going from the temples to the vertex (about half an inch behind the ear) in a square shape, as depicted below.

How to style a metro mullet with Rogelio using Cristiano Ronaldo

Use a #2 on the clipper for all the area inside the yellow square

2) Cut or trim the remaining hair on the head with scissors as desired. The best Metro Mullet is done with an even hair length throughout the hair that you are about to cut (i.e main hair), including the mulleted portion. Depending on your curly type, you may need to cut to more (or less) length to achieve a good personal look, with about a final cut length for the main hair of about 1 inch for Type I curls and about 2 inches for Type V curly hair. In other words, if you have Type I curls, cut the main hair to an inch of length, if you have Type V curly hair, then cut to 2 inches of hair length, and if your curly type is in between, then play around between 1 and 2 inches of final cut hair length. Remember, curly hair length is always measured when the curls are extended!

3) The hair segment that makes the mullet is that which goes from the hairline starting at the nape and up by an inch. Thus, the height of the imaginary hair segment to use for the mullet should be an inch in height and as wide as your scalp hairline is. I recommend you to opt for an inch in height and then, if not satisfied, to lower the height a bit (remember, you can always cut less when it comes to hairstyles). As I have said in Point 2, my recommendation is to have the mullet with the same hair length as the rest of the cut hair. If you want to have a longer length mullet, then I strongly advice you to make the mullet a maximum of one inch longer in length than the rest of the main hair.

Hair segment for the metro mullet hairstyle

This is the hair segment you should use for the mullet itself (aprox. one inch in height from the hairline)

4) Fade the dividing line between what you have just clipped to #2 and the cut/trimmed hair on the other side (main hair). A guard length of #3 or #4 is good and you pass the hair clipper through the line that divides the previously clipped hair and the main cut/trimmed hair. This is done to fade the abrupt difference in hair length that you will have between the clipped and main hair.

5) Style the hair now in a messy look with your fingers (don’t use a comb)! Be creative, you can use a faux-mohawk, gel it back or part it to the side. The mullet should be flared out so as to enhance it and truly obtain the Metro Mullet hairstyle. If you have done it succesfully, your curly Metro Mullet should look something like this:

Cristiano Ronaldo with a mullet curly hairstyle

Cristiano Ronaldo with his curly hair and a cool looking metro-mullet

Cristiano Ronaldo with his metro mullet hairstyle

Stylish enough to not be mistaken for someone who got stuck in the 80’s

Now, what should you be avoiding with the Metro Mullet hairstyle:

Don’t grow the mullet more than inch from the main hair! This is a no-no and would turn it into a conventional mullet. Follow my advice when I say no more than an inch difference, you will thank me later.

Cesc Fabregas with a curly mullet

Cesc Fabregas, another popular curly soccer player, proves how a Metro Mullet can go wrong!

- Shaving any lines or adding other atrocities to the hairstyle. Remember, this hairstyle is already eye-catching so you don’t need to make it any more visible for the rest of humanity. Likewise, shaving lines or colouring your hair with blue patches is OK if you are 13, not 30.

Boy with shaved lines across his mullet hairstyle

You so cool, bro

Flaring the mullet in a conservative environment. The great thing about the Metro Mullet hairstyle is that it can be adapted to the occasion and is stylish enough to pull in conservative environments such as in a working office. Keep that curly mullet tamed at work unless your working environment allows for casual and relaxed hairstyles. Then, by all means, be a stud and flare out that mullet!

Avoid the mullet if you are balding. This is a hairstyle which will not suit those with a Norwood 3 or more. If you are balding, get on with the program and choose a more suitable hairstyle for your balding curly hair.

Balding curly hair man with a mullet

Sorry sir but you failed to impress me

So, as you can see, the Metro Mullet is a great hairstyle designed to spice up your curly hair repertoire in terms of looks and styles. It is a step up from the conventional mullet and, like the rest of Manly Curls hairstyles, is a hairstyle for curly men that will fit any situations you may find yourself as a 21st century male. So do like Cristiano Ronaldo, and get that curly mullet flaring with style!

If you enjoyed this post, please share it with the rest of the world by using the social media icons above. Likewise, leave us a comment and make sure to subscribe to our free weekly newsletter by clicking HERE!

Related posts:

Curly Hair Man chooses his Top 10 Curly Women!
4 Hair Tips to Grow the Perfect Afro!
Curly Men: Good Hair versus Bad Hair
Ask Rogelio - Straight Hair & No Shampoo Guide
A Book For Men's Hair - Rogelio Does It Again Like a Boss
The Men's Hair Forum: The Online Community For, well, Your Hair!
North Korea President: Kim Jong-Un Hairstyle
One Cool Hair Care Tip Men Can Learn From Cats

Tags: , , , , , ,

25 Responses to The Metro Mullet – A Cristiano Ronaldo inspired Curly Hairstyle

1. john on March 14, 2014 at 10:28 pm

Is his top hair length same as his back hair length
    (without the mullet)

2. Josh on November 8, 2013 at 5:03 pm

What number clipper does Ronaldo usually get on the sides ?

3. James on September 29, 2013 at 8:25 am

What is cr7 hair length from the top?

• Rogelio on September 29, 2013 at 8:20 pm

1 inch. Don’t get a higher length on the top as it can make the top stick out too much from the sides.

4. James on September 25, 2013 at 3:40 pm

I need a quick reply plzz

• Rogelio on September 26, 2013 at 6:54 pm

See below

5. James on September 24, 2013 at 10:20 pm

I want this haircut but without the mullet

6. James on September 24, 2013 at 10:18 pm

What do i say to the barber for this haircut???

• Rogelio on September 26, 2013 at 6:54 pm

James, simply follow the instructions in the article but tell the barber to trim the back of your head with the same length, preferably with shears (i.e. scissors).

• James on September 29, 2013 at 8:20 am

Thanx

7. Christian Givens on April 7, 2013 at 5:05 pm

My hair is a cross between curly and a little wavy when it reaches about 2 inches i am african american with very mixed heritage but I want to know how i could achieve a ronaldo look or at least similar?

8. Dave T on March 18, 2013 at 9:23 pm

Thanks for your great site! Mullet question, could you please help me – I am 32, at this moment my hair is to my shoulders, naturally type 1 to 2, just slightly thinning on top, and long thin sideburns, kind of stereotypical artist hair.

A few years ago I decided to change things up completely with a mullet after I saw every guy had one on a trip through Europe. I wanted my hair really curly so had my hair permed, which was hilariously awkward to ask for when I made the appt, I had it longer pulled back type 2 on top, and long 3+ in back, with cleaned up sides above the ears, grew a chinstrap, changed my wardrobe from carpenter jeans and a t-shirt to skinny jeans and tank top, and got my ears pierced. It was strangely awesome but I grew to totally love how I looked!

Somehow I got back to boring so before I lose more hair, and while I am still young, I want to liven things up again with a fun but decent mullet. Thought about the Christiano Ronaldo mullet you describe here which is how I found your site. To be different, here is what I am thinking: short undercut sides, longer top slicked straight back transitioning to long permed super curly in back below ears, grow the chinstrap again and get a labret piercing for a db/edgy effect. Do you think this will look cool? Or what do you suggest for a credible and modern mullet type hair with the type 3 curls in back that I have my heart set on having again?

Thanks!

Dave

9. […] started with a pseudo Metro Mullet (name coined by Rogelio and inspired by Cristiano Ronaldo); a hairstyle that is inherently short […]

10. Amy K. on August 26, 2012 at 12:40 am

I just found your site today while trying to find examples of this cut for a client. I had to let you know how hilarious I find the balding mullet. I got to a lot of metal shows where older guys just can’t let the mullet die. We always call this particular style the “Skullet.”

• Rogelio on August 27, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Hi Amy,

Thanks for passing by. Sometimes, a balding male will try to deny he is balding and do extreme hairstyles to sort of delude himself into thinking all is well up there. There’s nothing wrong with balding and the process can be done elegantly, so stuff such as the skullet (LOL at the term) should, really, be banned (dare I say!).

11. Josh on July 14, 2012 at 8:07 am

Hey Rogelio I have very curly hair but think think I can do a metro mullet it would help if u answe it thnks

• Rogelio on July 14, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Hi Josh,

Absolutely, you can do a Metro Mullet with curly hair, that’s how I have written it to be. Simply follow the instructions, the Metro Mullet can be done on most types of curly hair.

The points to remember is to clip the sides like a square and then allow the mullet at the nape.

12. Drew on May 10, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Hey Rogelio,

I want to thank you for all these articles. I recently had a friend cut my hair to achieve this look. She’s no professional, but does a good job, and hey, it’s free. I have type 1 curls, and I’m Irish so my hair is extremely thick, almost clumpy, especially on the top and back. To top if off I have a big cowlick on the crown of my head which sends the hair in all directions. As a result I’m finding it difficult (almost impossible) to get an even textured look when I style it and the hair tends to just way itself down. It looks fine from the front but when looking from side view the style doesn’t flow very well and looks very clumpy. Can I still achieve this look? Any tips/suggestions/insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• Rogelio on May 12, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Hi Drew,

The Metro Mullet is not difficult to do as in the haircut can be done by a friend as you did, just make sure she evens the squares on both sides!

The point of the Metro Mullet is to have the mullet at the nape and to have the sides clipped. What you do at the top is highly individual and you can sport a shaggy look at the top. Cowlicks are a bit annoying in terms of styling so if you cannot tame the hair there, then allow it to get shaggy. The cool thing about Type I curls is that since they are almost l;ike straight hair, they look good when styled shaggy (i.e. just run your fingers through and mess your hair like an out-of-bed style).

I think parting the hair in the front to the side, while leaving the rest of the hair shaggy and the mullet flared out would be a great look. I have seen Cristiano Ronaldo with this look too. Use hair gel or pomade as that way you can secure in place the hair.

Let me know how it goes!

13. Carlos on February 11, 2012 at 8:44 am

Would it look bad if the metro mullet wasn’t faded from the sides, making it look like a “fawx-hawk mullet”???
    Should the hair be evened out all around?

• Rogelio on February 12, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Hi Carlos,

It would be OK but then it would not be a Metro Mullet. By clipping the sides, the mullet is enhanced as it narrows the head and the mullet is flared to make it stand out.

If you don’t want to clip the sides of the MM, then my advice is to not grow the sides longer than an inch in length and gel them back so it looks like the hair has been trimmed.

Remember, it is all about creating an illusion.

14. norman on January 30, 2012 at 4:52 pm

I have straight hair though I love reading your articles Rogelio. How would you go about this hairstyle for a guy with straight hair?

Thanks

• Rogelio on January 31, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Hi Norman,

Thanks for the kind words. You can follow these same instructions for your straight hair too, if you have any specifics questions when it comes to doing the Metro Mullet, feel free to ask me.

Also, remember that Manly Curls is for all types of hair, you can benefit from reading us regardless of your hair type and even gender, we don’t discriminate here!

15. LOL at meme on January 30, 2012 at 2:07 pm

LOL at the Sarah Jessica meme. Saw your reference to the coolstorybro gif on the poser article. Epic LOL!