The High and Tight hairstyle is a very popular style for men with curly hair and since I have blogged about this curly hairstyle in the past, I would like to now bring you a variation of the same with a haircut twist to it: the High and Tight Recon hairstyle.
Curly haired Mark Salling of Glee is well known for sporting a High and Tight Recon hairstyle
Just like its predecessor, the High and Tight Recon hairstyle is a style for curly men that is very suitable among those with tighter curls (Type III to V) and is very popular among military men. It is a low maintenance hairstyle and requires a minimalist haircut to perform. Likewise, it is a masculinizing curly hairstyle hence its popularity among the aforementioned military crowd as well as fighters and those men that partake in activities requiring an intimidating look. In fact, the term recon is derived precisely from the popularity of this hairstyle among the special reconnaissance teams in the US Marines and US Navy.
The High and Tight Recon hairstyle is very popular among men in the military
The premise of the High and Tight Recon hairstyle is to have a shaved head with a minimal patch of clipped curly hair on top of the head (known as a landing strip). That is it, as simple as it sounds, no fancy add-ons. The High and Tight Recon hairstyle differs from the conventional High and Tight in that the former has more areas of the scalp shaved allowing for a smaller landing strip. It is, thus, a more extreme hairstyle which is not as suitable as the conventional High and Tight for utilitarian purposes outside those confined to the military (i.e it is not a hairstyle for a conservative office setting).
The High and Tight Recon hairstyle delivers in terms of minimalism and low maintenance
The initial haircut for the High and Tight Recon hairstyle requires some special approach but its day to day requires low to medium maintenance. The High and Tight Recon haircut involves the use of a razor and a clipper. There are no scissors involved because the landing strip is kept to a maximum of a #4 hair clipper length, not more, which is a distinct quality of this curly hairstyle and which is not shared with the conventional High and Tight hairstyle.
Pretty much any men with curly hair can delve into the High and Tight Recon because the only requirement to have in terms of hair is a minimal 1/6 inch of hair length on the top of the head. Thus, this hairstyle is an option for those curly men with short, medium and long hair lengths who want to spice up their curls. In fact, I have personally used this hairstyle in the past and I went from sporting a manly mane of medium length curls to a tight High and Tight Recon in about 45 minutes. It was a drastic change in hairstyle in such a little amount of time and I could not recognize myself in the mirror for the following few days!
My High and Tight Recon. I have done some extreme stuff with my curly hair in the name of pioneering this community!
The haircut for the High and Tight Recon is performed as follows:
1) Clip the sides and back of head with the lowest guard number you can do (commonly a #0 or #1)
2) Clip the top of the head to a guard number that you would like the landing strip to be at (#1 up to #4)
3) Shave the newly clipped sides and back of the head. Use shaving cream and a mirror. Take your time.
Everything save the landing strip on the top must be shaved!
4) Now get shaving the top of the head too and carefully shape your own landing strip. The landing strip starts at the hairline on your forehead and goes back towards the vertex (top back of head). Since you will be playing around with the area of the landing strip, first start with a landing strip that is 7 inches in length (from hairline to back of the head) and 3 inches in width. Do not fade the dividing line between the shaved scalp and the landing strip.
Once the sides and back of the head are shaved, shave the top of the head as you concomitantly shape your landing strip
5) Continue to play around with the length and width of the landing strip of your High and Tight Recon. Do not make the landing strip wider than its length! You will find that even the smallest landing strips still look cool although I recommend 4 inches in length and 1.5 inches in width for best results. If you got your High and Tight haircut reconned correctly, it should look something like this:
The High and Tight Recon will add an interesting look to your image
If, instead, it looks something like below… dude, you did it wrong!
If you end up like this, then all I can say is to finish it off and shave all your head
Also, do the High and Tight Recon properly, grow a diesel beard, and you too will get to pity the fool:
In my years of watching The A-Team, B.A Baracus never made a wrong decision
The High and Tight Recon is an extreme curly hairstyle, albeit one that is worth the shot if you are tired of the same hairstyles and can pull off this unconventional style in your day to day scenarios. It requires a minimalist haircut for curly hair and will bring you back to the basics in terms of what a hairstyle is. I highly recommend this hairstyle for those brave men with curly hair who are not content with being like “the rest of the crowd”, which coincidentally, is the sort of stuff we like here at Manly Curls.
Get Recon-ing, curly fellows!
All the best.