4 Hair Tips to Grow the Perfect Afro!

Afros are cool hairstyles for curly hair men. Growing an afro is quite an experience and the following are 4 tips to grow the perfect afro for those curly men.

To grow an afro, one needs to know what one is doing! Afros are hairstyles particularly suited for those men with the tighter curls in the range of III to V. This means that not every man with curly hair can grow an afro for you need to inherently have the curl type to be able to pull it. If you are one of those men with curly hair in the less tighter ranges (I & II) and still want to have a hairstyle that puffs out and just looks diesel, then I suggest you look into the Jim Morrison hairstyle which is, in plain terms, the afro hairstyle for the white guy!

Curly Rogelio with his afro hairstyle for men

This is my Type III afro from the back, click here for the front!

To grow the perfect afro, you must pay close attention and follow these 4 tips:

Tip 1 for the Perfect Afro: Be ready to grow your curly hair

To grow an afro, you need plenty of curl length. This means that you must be willing to grow your curls to at least a medium length. Depending on your curly hair type, you will need a minimum hair length for your afro with the following extended lengths accounting for each of the curly hair types:

- Type III: 3 inches needed

- Type IV: 4 inches needed

- Type V: 5 inches needed

Your hair grows approximately 1/2 inch per month so do the calculations according to your current hair length and curl type. If you currently have 1 inch of Type IV curly hair, you will need at least 6 months to get your afro. Bear this in mind because in these extensive timeframes, many things (outside of hair) can occur.

Tip 2 for the Perfect Afro: Ditch the comb

Stop combing now! From now on, thou shalt throw away your comb and use your fingers to groom your curls and puff them out. You can also use a pick to help detangle your curls and keep the afro in good shape. Conventional combs and hairbrushes will disrupt the shape and health of your curly hair and hence your afro so it is imperative to go the wide tooth comb/finger/hair pick way (use the 3 together for best results)

Tip 3 for the Perfect Afro: Get the right trim for your afro

To grow an afro, you need to start with your hair at the same length all around. This means that you must get a haircut for your curly hair that has any disparities in hair length corrected. I recommend those curly hair men wanting to grow an afro to start from a short length (1-2 inches) and then allow their curly hair to grow without any further haircuts or trims. This way, you will get used to having an even hair length all around and will also have freshly grown healthy hair to boot once you reach your afro length!

Tip 4 for the Perfect Afro: Keep your afro moisturized

Curly hair in the range III to V (coily, kinky, nappy) is predisposed to being dry due to the nature of the curl’s shape. You must battle dryness, which causes frizzy hair, at all costs. This means keeping your hair moisturized all the time by cutting down on shampoo frequency to less than 3 times per week, avoiding hairbrushes and conventional combs, and making sure you use a conditioner while avoiding gels and hair sprays.

Lenny Kravitz with his afro hairstyle for his manly mane

Lenny Kravitz is a curly dude who inspired me to grow my afro!

Growing an afro is certainly a journey. You must be prepared and take great care in keeping your afro mane looking the part. An afro for curly hair men is a diesel hairstyle which will enhance your curly hair and your image. What is more, managing your ‘fro will not be as difficult as it seems with these 4 tips to grow the perfect afro!

If you enjoyed this post, please share it with the rest of the world by using the social media icons above. Likewise, leave us a comment and make sure to subscribe to our free weekly newsletter by clicking HERE!

Related posts:

Ask Rogelio - Hair Loss, Steroids and Testosterone
The High and Tight haircut, Recon Hairstyle for Curly Men!
Troy Polamalu gets his Long Curly Hair buzzed!
Curly Hair Men Talk - Mark from London
Hair Thickening Shampoo - How to Use & What It Is
Blogging Experience: 2 years of Manly Curls
Military Haircuts for Men: The Guide for Awesomeness
3 Epic Men's Hairstyles for 2014 You Must Try

Tags: , , ,

27 Responses to 4 Hair Tips to Grow the Perfect Afro!

1. Zion Seedanee on March 10, 2014 at 11:59 pm

i want a blow out fade 3 to 4 in i have long hair but ill cut if i can get this i dont want dangly curls tho a lite to moderate curl Photo on 2014-03-10 at 18.57

2. Antionne on December 30, 2013 at 11:07 am

Hey, im 75% African American and 25% Hispanic (basically black). I don’t know my hair texture specifically but my hair is wavy when it’s in a low haircut style and I have just about 1 inch (not all around though, mostly at the top and back sides of my head) of hair now and my hair is in this curls all over when theirs enough length to curl up considering they aren’t small coils or really tight curls. They get pretty medium size curls. I want to know on average how long could I get my hair in a year (12 months)? Im really trying to grow my hair into a big afro but im on my 3rd month since I’ve cutten my hair all the way back low but they trimmed it a little (which I wish they wouldn’t have done because I dint know where I could be right now) im only at an inch add of right now. So how long would it be at 12 months and what products could I use to aide my natural afro growing journey? Thanks alot in advanced! :)

3. isaiah banks on December 6, 2013 at 6:49 am

I’m a mix of white and black races I can’t tell what hair type I have tho

4. ty on November 1, 2013 at 3:13 am

My hair is kinky / coily i like they way it looks but friends say its ugly what do u think???

• Fz on April 20, 2014 at 8:23 pm

How do you get your kinks? (coils)

5. Ralfie on September 29, 2013 at 9:57 am

Hey I have nappy hair which category am I in to grow an afro?

6. James on August 2, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Hey Rogiello.

I’m 19 year old with what i believe is a type v curl. I have tried growing my hair out but it’s been very difficult to manage. My hair seems to always be dry and i want to achieve the lenny kravitz afro style. Please any advice would be useful.

7. YOUSUF on May 22, 2013 at 6:28 pm

hey there…..chanced upon this page of yours….and sure is useful…..and yes,iam inspired to grow out my hair now…..well its been 3 months now since i last visited a barber and started off uniformly all over….wash my hair everyday and let it dry naturally after a bit of sponging with a towel….use a bit of hair product( serum or gel ) and mess it up a bit….yea thats about it….affter an hour or two it gets to this…..just a pic of me(far right)….so what iam doing is right or would you advice me to change this routine…..thanks a lot man!…..appreciate what you are doing.

8. Louis on March 27, 2013 at 9:59 pm

Hey Rogelio, i am a 12 year old biracial (with black and white) boy who has a few questions. 1. what is my curl type?? 2. can i get a 4-5 inch afro?? 3. what will my afro look like??

IMAGES REMOVED

• Rogelio on March 27, 2013 at 10:07 pm

Hi Louis,

I cannot see your Facebook pictures; I believe it has to do with your account’s privacy. Upload the pictures to photobucket or a similar image hosting server.

ATB

• Rogelio on March 28, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Hi Louis,

Your curl type is Type V, otherwise known as kinky hair or afro-textured hair. Absilutely, you can grow an afro, your curl type is perfect for such a hairstyle.

It’s not easy to tell how your Afro will end up looking like for how you care after it and how you style it will make a difference. For now, focus on growing to 6 inches and follow the tips of this article.

Feel free to update me as you go along.

ATB

• Louis on March 29, 2013 at 1:09 am

just one more question, how can you tell my hair is type V??

• Rogelio on March 30, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Louis,

It has to do by the overall shape of your curls and their definition. Type V curly hair is what is commonly called afro-textured hair, and the definition of the locks is hard to see at medium distances, which is your case. However, guesstimating curl types from a single picture is hard, so why don’t you grab a ruler and measure your curls as per the Curly Hair Type Guide? It’s very easy to do and it’ll take you a couple of mins. This is the guide:

Feel free to update me buddy.

ATB

• Flosh on November 23, 2013 at 5:40 am

Hey, curious. Say I have type V hair ( which I do.) You say when my hair reaches 5 inches as an afro? Or pulled straight? I usually have a lot of hair that I can’t see until I use a blowout kit. So, is it five inches long straight or 5 inches long in an afro?

9. Jennifer on February 25, 2013 at 3:35 am

My son has kinky curls and I’m not sure what’s best to use on his Afro. Please help!

• Rogelio on February 28, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Hi Jennifer,

Have you experimented with natural oils? Coconut butter and shea butter are excellent products for kinky hair, as these products act to seal in moisture and thus avoid dryness of the kinks. Also, you want to be using a conditioner on your son’s hair after you shampoo it.

Hope that helped and feel free to keep me updated.

10. Kurt on December 18, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Hey Rogelio I’m a curly haired dude with type III curls and was wondering if I can grow a ‘fro and then weigh it down to grow my hair to shoulder length or if I have to start grooming it for a shoulder length hairstyle before it gets all big and poofy. Thoughts? Awesome blog Kurt

• Rogelio on December 21, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Hi Kurt,

Type III curly hair will start weighting itself down at about the 12 inch length mark, which means that you will hit shoulder length and the hair will be hanging down.

However, to have your hair hanging down before the 12 inch length mark, I recommend you to coat your curls in a leave-in conditioner and then on top add a styling cream (leave-in first, then styling cream). This can have your curls weighted down at about the 8-10 inch mark, so you can speed up having your curls hanging down. In my book I give different tables covering the different lengths (there’s actually 2 types of lengths!) and how to have your curls hanging down at a length where they still puff out.

Hope that helped!

11. Aubrey on December 5, 2012 at 2:05 am

Im a 15 year old african American with about a 2 inch long afro ( hair being puled straight ). Everyone tells me i look like Drake except for my hair,do you know how could i get my afro like his?

12. gerry on November 12, 2012 at 1:19 am

stumbled upon your site today and its dope.
    im gerry 22 years old, i think my hairs a type a 3 or 4. i wash my hair mayb one a week i use cocunut shampoo and some sort of organic conditioner, sometimes ill go longer depending on how nappy my hair gets and i use organic olive oil sheen spray( comes in a green can) like once or twice a day, is that stuff good? my hair seems alright(slightly dry at times if so i use more olive oil spray) but i really dont know,this is my routine my trial and error. just looking for advice to keep my fro healthy and looking good like lennys,should be conditioning my hair more then once a week? also i watched the video of lenny using Aloe Vera, do you know a good site i can order it? and how many hours/days/weeks are you suppose to leave it in.

thanks yo

13. nate on October 25, 2012 at 9:14 pm

hey Rogelio. i am nate and i am an african. i have some sort of straight hair ( surely type two curl because my hair is 1.5 inches long)mixed with some ‘e’ type curls ( surely 3rd type curl type) and the problem is my hair is a mixture of two types like i mentioned above and plus its really dry, so dry. I really want to have a curly afro but i simply dont know how :/ help!

14. Simon on October 25, 2012 at 6:40 am

Thanks for all the information you have put together about men’s curly hair. Very helpful!…

I just wanted to make you a couple of questions.

I believe that my curly hair style falls in between IV andV. My hair is about 4 inches in some parts (top and front) and about 5 inches at the back and sides. I am not liking this disparities as it looks sort of out of balance. Also my afro tends to flatten more on top wheres on the sides and back the curls are or look a bit more loose and longer.

Also, is there any dry was that can be used on this hair style?… I have realised that every time after i have a swim on the beach my curls look amazing and that is exactly how i want them to look all the time.

From your experience, what would you recommend for keeping a good shape (trimming) and curls. I like Lenny’s style too and actually my hair is quite alike his.

Thanks a lot for any comments in advance!!

Cheers

• Rogelio on October 27, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Hi Simon,

Hope all is well, buddy.

You are not alone about the swim thing where your hair looks great after bathing in the sea (incidentally, this effect doesn’t happen with swimming pools). I have several theories as to why this happens, but certainly you are not alone: I too experience this, and I spent my youth next to the ocean and hitting the beach just about every day to go bodyboarding, so I know this interesting fact very well.

Curly hair is a wild beast by nature; this means that you should strive to have it cut evenly, and if you want the hair to have different lengths, the rule of thumb is to always have the top longer than the sides and back; otherwise, the what I call Krusty effect occurs. Thus, get a haircut and trim the sides and back to the length of the top (make sure hair is trimmed dry). For Lenny’s hairstyle, get the sides and back trimmed a bit shorter though since the longer the curls, the more they will hang down as oppose to defy gravity (which is ultimately what you want in an afro hairstyle). I’d say about 1 inch shorter on the back and sides.

On top of the above, use hair mousse as your hairstyling product and make sure that you run your fingers through the hair, elongating the motion and aiming to lift up the hair; this way, you will avoid the hair on the top looking flat. Only use your fingers, and make sure to keep dryness at bay by following the recommendations on shampooing and conditioning frequency.

Let me know how that goes, Simon.

15. Thachna on October 16, 2012 at 9:16 am

Hi,

I am a 25year old Singaporean, Indian with dry curly hair.

I’ve been cropping my hair for the past five years, and would really love to grow an afro. However, I am unsure what kind of curls or how to describe my hair texture to you. My hair is partially curly and partially wavy. Would this hair type be sufficient to start growing an afro?

• Rogelio on October 18, 2012 at 6:02 pm

Hi Thachna,

I hope all is well.

Curly hair comes in types in that it can range from smooth waves (i.e. wavy hair) to tightly coiled kinks (i.e. afro), and most curl types will puff out at short and medium lengths. Going by what you are saying (half wavy/half curly), I’d say that yes, you can grow an afro. Like I say, most curl types grow in a puffed out manner naturally, unless your hair is bordering straight hair, which you don’t seem to have by what you say. I’d need pictures of your hair when longer to be able to give you a more precise response, though.

Check out my article on curl types to get a better idea of the kind of curl type that you have.

Other than Type I curls (the ones resembling straight hair the most), the rest of curl types will grow puffed out at short lengths (up to 2 inches). Likewise, you can use hair mousse and a blow drier to further enhance the puffing out nature of your hair. Apply the hair mousse first, then blow dry the hair with the coldest temperature while running your fingers up in the hair to magnify the puffing out.

Feel free to let me know how it goes!